Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi! is a Kenyan grassroots social movement organisation founded in 2009 and registered/incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee in 2012. It envisions a peaceful, united and well-governed Kenya with equal economic and social opportunity for all citizens. The organisation exists to empower Kenyan citizens to improve their lives and demand good governance as a means to achieve socio-economic growth and equality of opportunity among all Kenyans. It purposes to curate a social movement (the Ni Sisi! Movement) that will seek to unite Kenyans to forge a collective identity, drive transformation in leadership and improve maisha — wellbeing — for all Kenyans. To this end, Inuka supports community groups/organisations and collaborates with initiatives at the local, national and regional level to build capacity and linkages for effective collective action. Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi!’s philosophy is underpinned by the concept of “dignity before development” — each individual’s inherent dignity must be upheld at all levels of interaction.
Maskani Ya Taifa - a flagship advocacy initiative of Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi Ltd is an iterative online-offline platform established to counter negative narratives and be the de facto issue-based online civic education, participation and accountability platform in Kenya, to catalyse civic dialogue between citizens and their leadership and to disseminate information on CSO impact with a view to bridge the gap between CSOs and citizens.
Essential Functions: As the Assistant Programme Officer – Maskani Ya Taifa, you will be charged with ensuring that Maskani Ya Taifa and all other organizational social media platforms are upto date and the organization’s programmes and projects are well articulated and positioned in influencing change. You shall report to the Programme Officer – Maskani Ya Taifa
Job Title: Assistant Programme Officer - Maskani Ya Taifa (MYT)
Supervisor: Programme Officer - Maskani Ya Taifa (MYT)
Roles and Responsibilities
- To assist consolidate Maskani Ya Taifa as a defacto offline-online civic learning platform that promotes active citizenry to disrupt prevailing negative narratives and norms
- To assist in establishing, expanding, strengthening and ensuring functional and operational citizen hubs (invited and invented) as spaces for civic action for individual agencies, civic groups and actors
- Ensure building of scenarios and structuring online and offline campaigns with focus on their short term, mid-term and long-term aspects
- Create, manage and monitor institutional and project social media platforms as assigned
- Capacity Development of Maskani hubs and actors
- Establishing the Maskani marketplace infrastructure
- Participate in the building of the Ni Sisi social movement for a transformed leadership and enhanced accountability.
- Work with civil society organizations and develop partnerships with civic actors around Maskani hub activities
- To assist in enhancing the Maskani Ya Taifa Digital Management and establishing functional digital platforms (media accounts) to disrupt and replace narratives that dehumanize and instrumentalise violence, tribalism and inequality.
- To catalyze home-grown solutions through active citizen platforms to address prevailing and emerging Kenyan issues through sustained civilian oversight.
- Curate MYT Campaigns in conjunction with Maskani hubs and civic actors
- Monitor online Narratives and mount online and offline Counter-Insurgency measures
- Research, documentation, data capture and analysis and reporting as appropriate
- Any other relevant task as you may be assigned– specifically media work, editing, photography and videography.
Academic and Professional Experience
- University degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Development Studies, Social Science or a related field
- Minimum of at least Five (5) years’ experience working in similar programs within advocacy and accountability organizations and networks.
- Experience in creating, curating and managing social media platforms
Skills and Personal Attributes
- Understanding of the key governance issues in Kenya and the barriers to achieving a just and equitable society; understanding of social movement building processes, civic engagement, campaigns and human rights.
- Competence in managing social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) and other related supporting applications, including their analytic platforms.
- Experience in developing and leading the implementation of effective nation-wide campaign strategies in Kenya.
- Experience of working with networks or coalitions and building partnerships.
- Ability to manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships and work with a diverse group of stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multilingual environment.
- Strong experience in organizational management, project management, strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation, fundraising, and finance management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and networking abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Kiswahili and English.
- Experience of writing, documentation and reporting
- Advanced computer and software deployment skills (proficiency in computer applications)
- Good people management skills with a solid understanding of change management processes, performance management, time management, and results-based management, and team building.
- Personal character: Having good personal track record, integrity, honest, dedicated, dynamic, showing respect to others, team builder and time manager.
How to Apply
Inuka Kenya is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Further details of Inuka Kenya’s work can be obtained from our website - nisisikenya.org.