Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi! is a Kenyan grassroots social movement organisation founded in 2009 and registered/incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee in 2012. It envisions a peaceful, united and well-governed Kenya with equal economic and social opportunity for all citizens. The organisation exists to empower Kenyan citizens to improve their lives and demand good governance as a means to achieve socio-economic growth and equality of opportunity among all Kenyans. It purposes to curate a social movement (the Ni Sisi! Movement) that will seek to unite Kenyans to forge a collective identity, drive transformation in leadership and improve maisha — wellbeing — for all Kenyans. To this end, Inuka supports community groups/organisations and collaborates with initiatives at the local, national and regional level to build capacity and linkages for effective collective action. Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi!’s philosophy is underpinned by the concept of “dignity before development” — each individual’s inherent dignity must be upheld at all levels of interaction.
Maskani Ya Taifa – a flagship advocacy initiative of Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi Ltd is an iterative online-offline platform established to counter negative narratives and be the de facto issue-based online civic education, participation and accountability platform in Kenya, to catalyse civic dialogue between citizens and their leadership and to disseminate information on CSO impact with a view to bridge the gap between CSOs and citizens.
Essential Functions: As the Programme Officer – MYT, you will be responsible for the production, oversight, growth and sustainability of the programme. You will report to the Programme Manager – Knowledge and Technology. You will be required to perform the duties set out hereunder and such other duties as we may require you to undertake from time to time
Job Title: Programme Officer-Maskani Ya Taifa (MYT)
Supervisor: Programme Manager – Knowledge and Technology
Roles and Responsibilities
- To consolidate Maskani Ya Taifa as a defacto offline-online civic learning platform that promotes active citizenry to disrupt prevailing negative narratives and norms
- Establish, expand, strengthen and ensure functional and operational citizen hubs (invited and invented) as spaces for civic action for individual agencies, civic groups and actors
- Ensure building of scenarios and structuring online and offline campaigns with focus on their short term, mid-term and long-term aspects
- Create, manage and monitor institutional and project social media platforms as assigned
- Capacity Development of Maskani hubs and actors in all Ni Sisi! Chapters.
- Establishing the Maskani marketplace infrastructure
- Participate in the building of the Ni Sisi social movement for a transformed leadership and enhanced accountability.
- Work with Civil Society Organizations and develop partnerships with Civic Actors around Maskani hub activities
- To enhance the Maskani Ya Taifa Digital Management and establish functional digital platforms (media accounts) to disrupt and replace narratives that dehumanize and instrumentalise violence, tribalism and inequality.
- To catalyse homegrown solutions through active citizen platforms to address prevailing and emerging Kenyan issues through sustained civilian oversight.
- Curate MYT Campaigns in conjunction with Maskani hubs and civic actors
- Monitor online narratives and mount online and offline counter-insurgency measures
- Research, documentation, data capture and analysis and reporting as appropriate
Academic and Professional Experience
- University degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Development Studies, Social Science or a related field
- Minimum of at least Five (5) years experience working in similar programs with in advocacy and accountability organisations and networks.
- Experience in creating, curating and managing social media platforms
Skills and Personal Attributes
- Understanding of the key governance issues in Kenya and the barriers to achieving a just and equitable society; understanding of social movement building processes, civic engagement, campaigns and human rights.
- Competence in managing social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) and other related supporting applications, including their analytic platforms.
- Experience in developing and leading the implementation of effective nationwide campaign strategies in Kenya.
- Experience of working with networks or coalitions and building partnerships.
- Ability to manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships and work with a diverse group of stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Strong experience in organisational management, project management, strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation, fundraising, and finance management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and networking abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Kiswahili and English.
- Experience of writing, documentation and reporting
- Advanced computer and software deployment skills (proficiency in computer applications)
- Good people management skills with a solid understanding of change management processes, performance management, time management, and results-based management, and team building.
- Personal character: Having good personal track record, integrity, honest, dedicated, dynamic, showing respect to others, team builder and time manager.
How to Apply
Only candidates who meet the set criteria should submit applications together with their updated curriculum vitae that include details of daytime contacts, names and contacts of three referees addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com with “Programme Officer-Maskani Ya Taifa (MYT)” in the subject line not later than June 15, 2023.
Inuka Kenya is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Further details of Inuka Kenya’s work can be obtained from our website www.nisisikenya.com