About Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi:
Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi! is a Kenyan grassroots social movement organization founded in 2009 and registered/incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee in 2012. It envisions a peaceful, united and well-governed Kenya with equal economic and social opportunity for all citizens. The organization exists to empower Kenyan citizens to improve their lives and demand good governance as a means to achieve socio-economic growth and equality of opportunity among all Kenyans. It aims to curate a social movement (the Ni Sisi! Movement) that will seek to unite Kenyans to forge a collective identity, drive transformation in leadership and improve maisha — wellbeing — for all Kenyans. To this end, Inuka supports community groups/organizations and collaborates with initiatives at the local, national and regional level to build capacity and linkages for effective collective action. Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi!’s philosophy is underpinned by the concept of “dignity before development” — each individual’s inherent dignity must be upheld at all levels of interaction.
Inuka Kenya has developed three strategic objectives which, together, will form the basis upon which citizens at the local level will found their efforts to take charge of their citizenship and governance processes. As such, the three objectives are the key pillars that will support the creation of a Ni Sisi! social movement. These three objectives are:
- Restructure the Public Sphere: To create and curate narratives that seek to restructure the Kenyan public sphere using knowledge platforms, technology products and engaging civic actors and institutions within a framework of Utu.
- Enhance Individual Agency, Dignity and Livelihoods: To harness a collective positive and resilient identity in order to build, protect, restore and ensure human dignity for all.
- Transition to a National Social Movement: To transition from a Civil Society Organization, through partnerships, collaboration and membership development, to a national social movement of active citizens who hold governments to account.
Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi! Ltd is implementing a programme aimed at capacity development of social movements in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. Therefore, Inuka would like to engage a consultant/Consultancy firm to lead a process of researching the state of civil society in the region (resilience) including identification and amplification of champions.
Scope and Methodology
- Literature Review: This will entail a comprehensive review of the relevant literature and any other information that the Consultant considers important to the research exercise.
- Field Primary Data Collection: Primary data collection will be undertaken to collect data and information. The consultant will prepare the data collection tools and share with Inuka for feedback.
- Undertake Synthesis and Analysis: Collate, synthesize, and analyze both primary and secondary data and information. This will include the use of quantitative and qualitative techniques. The analysis shall also aim at generating critical recommendations on the resilience of civil society in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
- Report Writing:The consultant will compile an interim report detailing findings and providing recommendations.
The consultant is expected to share the field data collecting tools for review and comment by Inuka and before proceeding with the data collection. During the inception meeting, the consultant, Inuka shall agree on a field visit schedule for execution. Thereafter, the consultant shall undertake field research and analysis and produce an interim report, comprising the findings. The Interim report shall then be forwarded to INUKA and thereafter disseminated during a validation workshop to be organized by INUKA, to disseminate the findings and receive feedback. Further, the Consultant will analyze the feedback, revise the interim report and prepare a final report, detailing the process and methodology, key findings, lessons learned and key recommendations as well as answering all the questions in this TORs. Finally, the consultant shall present the main findings and key recommendations to the INUKA team.
The consultant will develop the methodology in collaboration with the Inuka team and prepare the Inception Report to be presented to Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi! Ltd.
Deliverables / Expected Outputs
The consultant will work closely with Inuka staff to refine the proposed scope of work prior to commencement of the assignment.
Key tasks will include the following:
- Develop a preliminary report on the on state of civil society in the region (resilience) including identification and amplification of champions
- Provide a detailed work plan clearly showing the information gathering, planning, design, development, testing and delivery of the capacity development tools
- undertake research
- Provide a detailed report of the status of civil society in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania
- Provide recommendations for capacity building of civil society towards resilience
- Develop a report of the consultancy
All the materials, information and reports, the output of the assignment shall be the property of Inuka and the Consultant is bound by Inuka’s confidentiality requirements.
Work Plan and Time Schedule
The Consultant must conclude the entire research exercise by November 20, 2023. Bids for the Consultancy must include a clearly articulated and detailed technical proposal interpreting the TORs, and activities schedule/work plans with clear outputs within specified milestones.
Inuka seeks to engage the services of qualified and experienced individual consultants/consultancy firms to undertake the exercise.
Qualifications & Experience
The consultants/consultant firms must have the following qualifications and experience:
- A relevant degree from a recognised university.
- At least ten (10) years of professional experience in the development sector.
- Experience in working in Uganda and Tanzania and thorough knowledge of Civil Society sector in Uganda and Tanzania
- 10 years experience in Organizational Development and capacity building
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present analytical and logical research reports
- Working knowledge of corporate governance an added advantage
Budget & Logistics
The consultant shall submit the proposed budget with broken down costs for particular items, for the assignment, including breakdown and justification.
Submission of Proposals/EOI
Based on the above, Inuka is inviting interested parties to submit expressions of interest. Individuals or firms applying shall detail the following:
- Consultants’ profile and Capability Statement describing the technical capacity and experience of the firm or group of individuals
- Names and resumes of individual(s) or team members proposed and their roles in the achievement of the assignment
- Testimonials and sample reports of similar assignments taken in the recent past
- Technical Proposal interpretation the Terms of Reference (TORs)
- Financial Proposal clearly demonstrating the costs of the consultancy.
- Detailed implementation plan and time frames.
The assignment will commence on October 20, 2023 and be completed and a final report submitted by November 20, 2023.
Deadline for submission is October 16, 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted