Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi! is a Kenyan grassroots social movement organisation founded in 2009 and registered/incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee in 2012. It envisions a peaceful, united and well-governed Kenya with equal economic and social opportunity for all citizens. The organisation exists to empower Kenyan citizens to improve their lives and demand good governance as a means to achieve socio-economic growth and equality of opportunity among all Kenyans. It purposes to curate a social movement (the Ni Sisi! Movement) that will seek to unite Kenyans to forge a collective identity, drive transformation in leadership and improve maisha — wellbeing — for all Kenyans. To this end, Inuka supports community groups/organisations and collaborates with initiatives at the local, national and regional level to build capacity and linkages for effective collective action. Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi!’s philosophy is underpinned by the concept of “dignity before development” — each individual’s inherent dignity must be upheld at all levels of interaction. Inuka Kenya has developed three strategic objectives which, together, will form the basis upon which citizens at the local level will found their efforts to take charge of their citizenship and governance processes. As such, the three objectives are the key pillars that will support the creation of a Ni Sisi! social movement. These three objectives are:
- Using technology to disrupt and replace norms and narratives that dehumanize and instrumentalize violence, tribalism and inequality
- To build, protect, restore and ensure human dignity, harness collective positive identity, foster trust between citizens and state
- To transition to a civic movement through partnerships, collaboration and membership leveraging hopes, aspirations and fears for an activated citizen holding the government to account.
Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi! Ltd would like to engage a recruitment agency to lead and manage the process of recruiting and selecting for the position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The agency will also be expected to advise on the execution of a strategic leadership onboarding and transition process.
The main Objectives of the consultancy are to:
- Provide an independent and external HR recruitment service for a well-planned and timely recruitment and selection of a Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
3. Scope and Methodology
The operational scope of this consultancy service will include:
- Deliver an in-person workshop with the board members on executive director recruitment best practices and facilitate conversation on recruitment process direction.
- Develop a work plan covering planning, recruitment and candidate assessment
- Provide advice and support development of templates for recruiting – criteria and procedure for
- sourcing candidates, shortlisting and interviewing guide
- Advertise, headhunt, receive applications, longlist, organize regular update and review calls and submit a shortlist of suitable applicants at first and subject these to written assessment, then eliminate and recommend candidates for consideration by the Board
- Create a reference check guide and provide advice on successful leadership onboarding and transition.
- Develop a final report of the process
The consultant will develop the methodology in collaboration with the Inuka Board and prepare the Inception Report to be presented to Inuka Kenya Ni Sisi! Ltd. The process will be led by an independent consultancy firm skilled in the field of Human Resource.
5. Deliverables / Expected Outputs
The shortlisted consultant(s) is therefore expected to provide the following deliverables:
- Summary of interpretation of the TOR and work plan.
- Summary of the report to the recruiting task force.
- Receive applications through the recruiting agency email address.
- Recruitment plan that includes the advert
- Together with the Board review the recruitment design/plan
- Considering the JD/job profile, the agency will work out / strategize on how to get the right candidates and appraise all the applicants
- A report on the demerits and the merits of the shortlisted candidates
- The recruiting agency presents the summary of the report to the recruiting task force.
- Work together with the Board Taskforce to design review individual /group questions (interview, written and presentation, group discussion) and tailor make them to address the kind of competency required for organization leadership
- Provide a shortlist of the applicants in consultation with the Board
- Recommend suitable candidate (s) to the Board.
- Provide technical support to the Board Task Force during final interviews
- Develop a final report of the recruitment and present to a full sitting of the Board
6. Work Plan and Time Schedule
The Consultant must submit the EOI by August 24, 2023. Bids for the Consultancy must include a clearly articulated and detailed technical proposal interpreting the TORs, and activities schedule/work plans with clear outputs within specified milestones.
7. Consultants’ Profile
Inuka seeks to engage the services of qualified and experienced consultancy firms to undertake the exercise.
7.1 Qualifications & Experience
The ideal agency will have an already established vast network of potential candidates ideally from Kenya. The Agency will also have substantial experience recruiting for positions within International non-profit Organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations. They will be required to demonstrate the availability of capable consultants to implement the scope of work
The agency must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Advanced educational background in human resource management
- The agency is registered under the Institute of Human Resource Management and licensed to offer outsourced recruitment services
- Proven experience in recruitment and selection, and offering advice on onboarding and leadership transition for an I/NGO
- Proven experience in handling recruitment of Executive Director or a similar role in a similar organization
- Ability to maintain high standards of confidentiality, professionalism and sound judgment
- Previous proven work experience in similar assignments with NGOs will be given preference
- Experience in working in Kenya and thorough knowledge of Civil Society sector in Kenya
- Consultancy team with required credentials, knowledge and skills for the required assignment
- Understanding of local labor laws, safeguarding requirements (organizational code of conducts), procurement rules and internationally accepted best practices and standards
8. Budget and Logistics
The consultant shall submit the proposed budget with broken down costs for particular items, for the assignment, including breakdown and justification.
9. Submission of Proposal/EOI
Based on the above, Inuka is inviting interested parties to submit expressions of interest. Individuals or firms applying shall detail the following:
- All applications should include the following documents:
- Practising certificate and license from the Institute of Human Resource Management, for the agency and the team
- Consultants’ profile and Capability Statement describing the technical capacity and experience of the firm or group of individuals
- Previous relevant experience – listing previous work examples or links of similar work, client recommendation letters
- Names and resume of individual(s) or team members proposed and their roles in the achievement of the assignment and their contact details. The staff should be members of the relevant professional body.
- Technical Proposal interpretation the Terms of Reference (TORs)
- Financial Proposal clearly demonstrating the costs of the consultancy.
- Detailed implementation plan and time frames.
The assignment will commence on August 31, 2023 and be completed and a final report submitted by September 30, 2023.
The deadline for submission is August 24, 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.